As well as assisting families in managing the affairs of a loved one, we can take on the responsibility by acting as a professional attorney (if appointed under a Lasting Power of Attorney) or a professional deputy (if appointed by the Court of Protection). In both cases, we offer a cost effective and personal service, ensuring that the best interests of the person in question are at the forefront.
We listen. We support. We take the time to get to know our clients, and their loved ones, and we consider ourselves ‘part of the team’. The views of the person concerned are paramount, and we do what we can to preserve and enhance their independence and dignity.
Acting as a professional attorney or professional deputy may include:
- Ensuring that assets are managed appropriately – there is no ‘one size fits all approach to this. We will work with appropriate third-parties to ensure that best interests are paramount. We may put in place a strategy, or plan, to manage this;
- Completing applications for all state entitlements, pensions etc;
- Dealing with tax returns, where appropriate;
- Considering whether gifts can or should be made, and whether a Will is appropriate
In all cases we will ensure that we
- Act in the best interests of the person concerned, and in accordance with the principles of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the Code of Practice.
- Ensure that accounts are maintained and that we account to the person concerned or the Court of Protection as required
- Work constructively with loved ones third parties in the best interests of the person concerned.
- Ensure that any obligations imposed by the Court of Protection are adhered to, such as insurance bonds and supervision and reporting requirements.
Let us be honest – sometimes, the thought of having a legal professional involved is daunting. We take the time to explain things clearly without legal jargon. We have a friendly, approachable team and are eager to do the best for our clients at what can be a challenging time.
Speak to Damian Lines for an initial discussion about how we can help.