Damian Lines TEP
Partner, Solicitor, Head of Wills, Trusts and Probate
Specialising in: Probate and Estate Administration Inheritance Tax and Estate Planning Making a Will Powers of Attorney and Loss of Mental Capacity Will and Inheritance Disputes Wills, Trusts and Probate Business Lasting Powers of Attorney Court of Protection Advance Decisions (Living Wills) Trusts
- Partner, Solicitor – Qualified 2007
- Registered Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) – Qualified 2011
Some notable examples of my work:
- Application for a Statutory Will (a Will made by Court order on behalf of someone who lacks mental capacity) to avoid an estate passing to the Crown on death;
- Application to the court for rectification of a homemade Will where the intended beneficiary would otherwise have lost their benefit;
- Assisting a charity in the administration of historic funds by way of a Scheme of the Charity Commission;
- Applying to the Court for the removal and replacement of executors appointed by Will;
- Administration of a complex and high value estate including multiple deaths and property in foreign jurisdictions;
- Obtaining a limited Grant Ad Colligenda Bona to protect a property pending investigation into the deceased’s affairs;
- Acting as Deputy (and later executor under a Statutory Will) for a client subject to familial financial abuse
I am a Partner of the firm and Head of Wills, Trusts and Probate.
After reading law at the University of Bristol I began my career with a well established Bristol firm. From the beginning of my career I conducted a mixed practice including criminal defence, civil litigation, complaints against the police and property sales but focused my training on the area of Wills, Trusts, Probate and associated matters. I now practise solely in the field of Wills, Trusts, Probate and matters concerning the vulnerable.
In 2008 I moved closer to home to take a position at Rubin Lewis O’Brien, becoming a partner of this firm in 2011.
I pride myself in giving honest, clear advice – without legal jargon or waffle. Speaking to a solicitor about personal matters can be a daunting prospect; I take a relaxed, professional approach to working with my clients to achieve their objectives.
Some facts about me:
- Since 2011 I have been a Full Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), a worldwide organisation of experts in the field of Wills and Trusts and one of only very few solicitors in the area to hold this qualification.
- I have been recognised by the national learning disability charity Mencap as having expertise in assisting families with wills, trusts and matters concerning the affairs of those with learning disabilities and mental capacity issues. Mencap refer clients to me in the knowledge that I will give not only the required legal advice but also the support and guidance to put it into action. I am privileged to be invited regularly to give specialist seminars on planning for the future for the Mencap Wills and Trusts service.
- I appear on the legal advisers list for SCOPE and NAS (the National Autistic Society), recognising my expertise in this field.
- I have delivered legal workshops for Carers Wales, the Welsh arm of national charity Carers UK.
- I am a trustee of local charity Age Connects Torfaen and this firm provides a Will writing service for the charity. Both I and my colleagues regularly visit their site to give talks, or be on hand for free advice sessions. I am also trustee of a local private charitable trust for the benefit of young people in Blaenavon.
- As a speaker, I am regularly invited to give presentations to both formal and informal groups and forums in the area – and I have to say; I thoroughly enjoy doing so!
On a more personal note, I grew up in Pontypool and attended West Mon School. I now live in Griffithstown with my wife and son. For many years (more than I care to admit) I have been a member of (and, for some ten years a trustee of) local mixed-voice choir and charity the Cwmbran Baroque Singers, regularly performing in concerts locally and further afield. My wife informs me that I am a keen gardener and DIY enthusiast, but I am yet to be convinced!
Mencap recommended solicitor for Wills and Trusts
NAS (National Autistic Society) recommended specialist solicitor
SCOPE recommended specialist solicitor
“I wish to thank you and your colleagues very much indeed for the extremely prompt and efficient way in which you drew up my Will. Your service has been first class.”
“I would like to express my thanks to you and your staff for the way you handled all aspects of my mothers affairs; we will never forget how at ease you made mum feel during her first meeting with you and your professional, but good humoured manner, it made such a difference”
“I must say that it has been a pleasure working with your law firm and I will try to call in when I am next in the area to thank you personally. Best wishes to you (Tina) and Damian.”
“Just a quick note to thank both you and Tina for your professionalism in the winding up of the above estate.”
“Response to Customer Feedback Survey Question - How good were we at getting back to you the same day?
Answer - Excellent. I have been very impressed with the promptness of replies to emails, from both Damian and Jade, even through to evening hours.”
“I would like to thank you for assisting me through the administration process. I am very grateful for your advice and assistance in what has been a very difficult time and process for me.”